3 Healthy Summer BBQ Recipes your Guests will Love
We all love to get outdoors to enjoy the pleasant weather in the summertime, and inviting friends over for a barbeque is part of the summer tradition. With a little creativity, vegetarian cookout menus can be part of a healthy diet for optimum health and wellness. When you plan your healthy summer barbeque recipes, make sure to purchase only fresh, organic ingredients that do not contain GMO’s.
Here are some vegetarian barbeque recipes for veggi burgers, shish kabobs and apple walnut salad you will want to try:
- Irresistible Bean and Vegetable Burgers
Here is a delicious recipe that uses adzuki beans, black-eyed peas and carrots.
- ½ cup adzuki beans
- ½ cup black-eyed peas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Soak beans and bring to a boil. Drain and rinse well. Mash beans slightly, place in a mixing bowl.
- Mix beans, black-eyed peas, onion, bread crumbs and pepper well until they bind together.
- Wet your hands and divide the mixture into 6 parts. Form into burgers.
- Grill on barbeque for 3-4 minutes per side
- Serve with barbeque sauce.
- Colorful Veggi-Mushroom Shish-Kabobs
This recipe uses a variety of mushrooms for flavor and visual appeal. Use wooden skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes. Prepare the marinade ahead of time by whisking the ingredients together. Marinate the vegetables for two hours before grilling.
- ¾ cup of sliced assorted mushrooms, Portobello, button, crimini and shitake
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup red onion, cut in chunks
- 1 cup of cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- ¼ cup organic Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons of real maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of fresh basil, chopped
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
Heat the barbecue grill to medium heat. Remove the vegetables from the marinade and thread them onto the wet skewers, alternating colors for effect. Place skewers on the grill and char the vegetables lightly all around for about 10 minutes. Brush with marinade and turn as necessary.
- Refreshing Apple Walnut Summer Salad
A super healthy apple walnut salad is a great accompaniment for a barbecued meal on a warm summer day.
- 3 cups of torn romaine lettuce
- 3 cups of torn red leaf lettuce
- 2 cups of chopped kale
- 1 large red apple, chopped
- 1 large green apple, chopped
- 12 cup raw chopped walnuts
- 13 cup red onion, sliced thin
- 13 cup of dried cranberries
- ¾ cup of fresh apple juice or apple cider
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper
- 14 cup of flax oil
Place the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl. Prepare the vinaigrette dressing by whisking all ingredients together. Drizzle over the salad, toss and serve immediately.